Friday, May 4, 2007

Set Your DVRs

This Sunday at 9pm, NBC is airing a two-hour documentary looking back at Saturday Night Live in the 1990s. The previous specials on the 70s and 80s were excellent, as they were through the decade year by year, speaking with the writers, cast and guests of the time.

Having gone to high school and college throughout the '90s, this era sticks in my memory the most, with cast members such as: Mike Myers, Adam Sandler, Chris Rock, Norm MacDonald, Phil Hartman, Cheri Oteri, David Spade, Tim Meadows, Will Ferrll, Chris Farley and Dana Carvey.

My brother, my friend Sean, and I may be the last people over 21 still watching SNL every week (the cast these days is excellent and perhaps as good as its ever been. The writing...not so much).

Anyone have a favorite sketch from the 1990s?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

don't you mean OVER 21?

Count Choculitis said...

I DVR SNL each week. I give it a shot until the first musical performance, and it usually sucks. I'm a sucker for the Barry Gibb talk show, but the political humor that generally opens the show is rarely funny anymore.

Toasty Joe said...

Only Greenhaus would DVR something every week despite thinking it sucks and is unfunny. As for me, I haven't watched SNL since 1999 (with the exception of the Lazy Sunday and Dick in a Box clips on youtube). My favorite sketch of the 1990s might be when Jerry Seinfeld was host and they did the "Stand Up and Win" game show. Anyone remember that?

harris said...

"Only Greenhaus would DVR something every week despite thinking it sucks and is unfunny"

Hilarious. But Greenhaus, if you're going to DVR the show, at least watch Weekend Update. It's consistently excellent.

Anonymous said...

The Barry Gibb Talk show is great.

My favorite sketch of all time is a toss-up b/w the Rob Schnieder street musician (with Jeff Goldblum) and a little throw-away restaurant sketch involving Joe Piscopo and a time machine in the bathroom. Anyone remember?

wincheck said...

When I worked at Final Frame I ended up having to run the office while my boss left for 6 months to edit the SNL 70's special. When she got back, I was fired so they could hire a full-time bookkeeper. Those guys were bastards.

BookieD said...

My favorite sketch from the 90's was the all-star 90's musician sing-along to try to coax Michael Jordan back from retirement. Adam Sandler as Eddie Vedder was priceless.

BTW, LOST was awesome. If I post a comment on Harris's LOST entry (which was like, 7 or 8 entries ago), would anyone read it?

Happy Birthday Harris!

harris said...

I always love hearing your LOST comments...

Count Choculitis said...

Man, I really catch a lot of flak from Toasty Joe on various message boards.

I routinely watch Weekend Update. I think Amy Pohler is hysterical. My favorite skit is when she plays Horatio Sans's little sister and she speaks really fast and bounces around the room like a yo yo.

Toasty Joe said...

It's all in love, Count.

Anonymous said...

I simply could not leave your web site prior to suggesting that I really loved the standard info a person supply for your guests?

Is gonna be again steadily to check up on new posts

my weblog ... umschuldung ohne schufa
Also see my website :: refinance home equity loans