Monday, May 7, 2007

Playlist: The Saddest Songs I Know

From time to time, I'm going to list the best songs that capture a particular mood. In this first installment, enjoy a (pretentious) recap of the saddest songs in my collection. Feel free to nominate your own choices.

God Moving Over The Faces of Water – Moby: Built around a piano refrain that sounds like rain, this instrumental slowly becomes a thunderstorm of raw sorrow. When the world finally comes to an end, this will be the song God plays over the closing credits.

Where Did You Sleep Last Night
– Nirvana
: An obscure blues song about infidelity is remade into the quintessential Kurt Cobain record. I don’t think any other Nirvana performance better represents the power of Cobain’s pain ridden voice.

A Change Is Gonna Come – Sam Cooke: Written in response to Bob Dylan’s civil rights song Blowing In The Wind, Sam Cooke shows how even the saddest song can be empowering. The pain of centuries of oppression distilled beautifully into Cooke’s voice. I can’t imagine the world will ever hear a more moving performance.

I See A Darkness – Johnny Cash: Johnny Cash brings a certain gravitas to this Will Oldham cover. Its cathartic chorus could make even the toughest cowboy cry. A dark song about battling your demons and hoping that love will offer redemption.

Mad World – Michael Andrews & Gary Jules: Another end of the world type song. While lyrically awkward, this Tears For Fears cover creates a mood that is simultaneously ominous, gorgeous and terrifying.

Twilight – Elliott Smith: The saddest and prettiest song of Elliott’s brief career - his voice has never sounded lonelier. Off the otherwise unremarkable “From a Basement on the Hill.”

The Funeral – Band of Horses: If you’ve ever received the shock of suddenly losing a loved one you’ll understand the chorus’ haunting refrain. A song this great shouldn’t come so early in a band’s career – it just overshadows everything else.

Cold Wind – Arcade Fire: This is the song you play after the funeral, when you’re leaving town because all the memories have turned bad. In my version of Six Feet Under, this is what Claire Fisher would’ve been listening to in the car on her way to New York.

Nightswimming – R.E.M.: More of a song about nostalgia than say broken hearts, yet equally heart breaking. The lyrics are opaque and fragmented but it paints the perfect picture of innocence lost (whatever that phrase means).

Wish You Were Here – Pink Floyd: I’m not a big Pink Floyd fan, but if you don’t like this song, you have no soul.

Nothing Compares 2 U – Sinead O’Connor: Easily the most pop sounding song on this list, but after Sam Cooke’s A Change Is Gonna Come, also the most beautifully sung. This is the first song that ever made me cry.

Heart Cooks Brain – Modest Mouse: Modest Mouse is such a unique band - their sound is impossible to describe and the lyrics are at once smart-alecky and heartbreaking. It’s a unique sort of sadness, one that comes from feeling stupid about feeling sorry for yourself. It’s a shame Isaac Brock no longer writes songs like these.

On the Nature of Daylight - Max Richter: Another powerful instrumental that will make you want to crawl into the fetal position and rock back and forth. When World War III breaks out, this is what will be playing as the bombs drop in slow motion from the sky.

15 comments:

Count Choculitis said...

This topic is somewhat gay, made even more gay by the inclusion of the gayest song in the history of gayness, "Nothing Compares 2 U".

I haven't racked my brain yet, but the Johnny Cash version of "Hurt" has to be right up there.

harris said...

I'm going to kill you one day, Greenhaus.

On the other hand, because your favorite band is Fall Out Boy, it's difficult to really take you seriously.

harris said...

Also, the gayest song in the history of gayness is "One Week" by Barenaked Ladies.

Toasty Joe said...

I'll nominate pretty much any song on Bob Dylan's "Blood on the Tracks," especially "If You See Her, Say Hello."

I'll also throw "Layla" in the mix, especially if you know the history behind it.

Toasty Joe said...

Oh, and the Beatles' "Julia" (which is about Lennon's late mum) always makes my fiancee cry.

Anonymous said...

A Change is Gonna Come could be considered more uplifting than sad. I guess you said that. I'm jus sayin it again.

Also I nominate New Partner by Palace to go somewhere on the list.

Sarah Brown said...

Very nice. That's my second-favorite Sam Cooke song.

I always thought New Partner was sweet, though.

(This is Sarah Brown, by the way. Blogger won't let me login correctly.)

Count Choculitis said...

"Golden" by Fall Out Boy is terrifically sad.

Anonymous said...

Sarah-maybe you're right. It seems melancholy to me, but I always cry at the wrong times...

wincheck said...

Ditto on "New Partner".

And you are always on my mind
I've got a new partner, riding with me
I've got a new partner now

BookieD said...

I don't know if these songs are necessarily "sad", but at the moment, I do get emotional when I hear:

"Somewhere Only We Know" by Keen

"My Immortal" by Evanscense

"My Tears Cry on their Own" by Amy Winehouse

"I Will Follow You into the Dark" by Death Cab for Cutie

"Still Fighting It" by Ben Folds

"Beautiful" by Christina Aguilerra (as Harris knows, one of my favorite songs of all time)

"Golden" is sad, but at 2:30, a little too short to get me to emote.

The best part is, of course, that in six months, none of these songs will be on my list (except, of course, for Christina). I mean, come on!

Toasty Joe said...

This song always gets to me as well:

http://download.lardlad.com/sounds/season4/whacking9.mp3

BookieD said...

BTW, doesn't "Golden" remind you of a Joe Jackson song? I forget the title of it, but it's like a slower version of "Steppin' Out".

Anonymous said...

just declarations wise lefkzu avoided relax pedestrian heywood agamben lawfully translates
lolikneri havaqatsu

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I am regular visitor of this website[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url]You have really contiributed very good info here the-mcfly.blogspot.com. Let me tell you one thing guys, some time we really forget to pay attention towards our health. In plain english I must warn you that, you are not serious about your health. Recent Scientific Research displays that closely 60% of all U.S. adults are either obese or overweight[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url] Therefore if you're one of these citizens, you're not alone. Infact many among us need to lose 10 to 20 lbs once in a while to get sexy and perfect six pack abs. Now next question is how you can achive quick weight loss? Quick weight loss can be achived with little effort. You need to improve some of you daily habbits to achive weight loss in short span of time.

About me: I am writer of [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss tips[/url]. I am also mentor who can help you lose weight quickly. If you do not want to go under hard training program than you may also try [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/acai-berry-for-quick-weight-loss]Acai Berry[/url] or [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/colon-cleanse-for-weight-loss]Colon Cleansing[/url] for effective weight loss.