Wednesday, May 2, 2007

The Brig


***LOST SPOILERS***DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN LAST NIGHT'S EPISODE***
Also, reading this post will expose me as the giant, giant nerd I am.


Another excellent episode of LOST (although as always, that's up for debate). A couple of thoughts, in no particular order:
  • I predicted over a year ago that Locke's father would indeed be the real Sawyer (that's not really that impressive - I've made a lot of predictions that haven't come true). Tonight's episode finally resolved that story line which has been dangling since season 1. I hate to say that I took some satisfaction seeing Sawyer reach back to his bad-boy roots and actually kill the old con man. He'd become so warm and fuzzy lately that I didn't think the writers would let us see something that brutal. Josh Holloway put in what is probably his best performance of the series.
  • Great seeing Black Rock again - it made the scenes between Sawyer and Locke's dad all the more creepy. I thought it odd Rousseau just popping in for some TNT. My guess is we're going to see her use that dynamite some time before the finale.
  • Locke's father claimed that he came to the island after being rear-ended in a car accident, upon which paramedics hooked him up to an IV, and he woke up in a supply closet on the island. Two things are interesting: (i) Having him believe that he was in hell or purgatory was a nice wink by the writers to the fans. That theory has been kicking around since the early days, and although it was not explicitly refuted, I don't think there's more to it. Where-ever they are, it ain't hell; (ii) This car-accident business sounds like the work of the mysterious yet powerful Mittelos Bioscience / Dharma / Wigmore people (whichever). These were the same people who had Juliet's ex-husband serendipitously hit with a bus so she would take a job on the island. I see no reason why they just didn't do the same with Locke's dad. This suggests two things: the all-powerful organization is the "big-box metaphor" Ben describes and that despite the destruction of the submarine, there is still a means of getting to and from the island.
  • I don't think anyone was surprised to learn Naomi was part of an organization hired by Penny Wigmore, Desmond's true love, to try and find him. Naomi's people are stationed on a barge a mere 80-miles off the island. While surveying from her helicopter, the clouds randomly parted and she was able to find the island. I'm not sure what to make of her arrival and what implications it'll have for the show. Considering they're not being rescued any time soon (because that would be the end of the show, no? Although I wouldn't put something like that past the writer's of Battlestar Galactica), what role will she play?
  • Jack and Juliet have a secret, but what is it? Is Jack colluding with her to sabotage Ben's infiltration plan? Whatever happened to Jack in his post Hydra-station days with the Others has yet to be revealed, and whatever it is, I suspect it's important.
  • Why did Ben tell Locke about their plan to kidnap the pregnant women? He seemed rather caviler disclosing that fact.
  • Whatever that pole Locke's father was tied to in the Other's camp seemed to be a relic from the past - the same past responsible for the four-toed statue we saw briefly in last season's finale.
Thoughts? Theories? Frustrations? Only three episodes left until we have to wait all the way till January, 2008 for Season 4. Next week's (entitled "The Man Behind The Curtain") appears to show us the Dharma Initiative in its heyday (!) and the revelation of whatever cards Jack and Julia have been holding up their sleeves.

8 comments:

Toasty Joe said...

I've never seen a single episode of Lost, but something tells me your brother is gonna be all over the comments section on this post.

BookieD said...

I will be all over the comments section...but not until tomorrow (or later tonight). Due to a client function, I missed LOST on Wednesday for the first time in weeks. Deb and I will watch tonight on DVR and then I will read this post and comment accordingly. For now, let's just keep it non-specific:

LOST Rules! Kate is hot! Jack is such a Mr. Smarty-Pants know-it-all! I hate those Others! They're always up to something! What do they use for toilet paper on the Island? Tampons? Why are their haircuts and beards so damn neat?

hjdvikes said...

Hey all, i'm new to the blog - friends with Gregg.

I hate Jack and have hated him since the beginning. He's so righteous and thinks he's better than everyone else, blah blah blah. I can't wait til Juliette turns on him and everyone in camp really hates Jack. I need Desmond to kill him!

Things I loved about last night:

1- Kate leaving James Sawyer to go sleep in her own tent
2- Ben wacking Tom Sawyer over the head with his cane
3- James Sawyer squeezing the life out of Tom Sawyer with the chain restraint
4- Naomi telling Sayid to remind her not to save him after Sayid didn't believe her about how she got to the island - does Sayid trust/believe anyone?

Count Choculitis said...

Sayid should star in next season's 24. This season's 24 stinks and Sayid is cooler than Jack Bauer.

I think I'm at the point with LOST where I am just going to watch every episode, enjoy each one (last night's was great) and not bother with theories and easter eggs. I don't know what the hell is going on and I'm not sure I care anymore. How did Locke's dad get to the Island (I don't care what he says)? Why would Kate go spill the beans to Jack in front of Juliet? What would Jack trust Juliet? (I feel like that Melrose Place Seinfeld episode where Jerry just loses it).

By the way, I agree with the Bizarro Harris that hating Jack is the right thing to do. I'm tired of him.

hjdvikes said...

Hey Frankenberry, wanna meet at Reggie's after work to talk all-things Lost?

harris said...

I've always loved Jack - he's incapable of saying or doing something without acting like it's the most important thing ever. He'd be a real dick to be friends with, but I love watching him. That said, I don't think Juliet is going to turn on him - I think she's going to turn on Ben.

I'm with the Count though - it's a little pointless to keep theorizing with this show. I was actually going to write a post outlining everything that's happened this season to highlight that actually nothing's happened at all. Taking an episode-by-episode approach will probably leave you more satisfied.

Also, I don't watch 24 but the producers have responded to the intense criticism it's received this season:

http//www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/tv/la-et-channel30apr30,1,4561337.story?coll=la-headlines-entnews&ctrack=2&cset=true

harris said...

Also, here's the link to the Entertainment Weekly recap:

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20037639,00.html

Anonymous said...

I wonder if the Lost writers enjoy being treated like such heroes. something tells me they do a lot of snarky laughing in that cushy little writers' room.

That's right, I'm a cynic.