Wednesday, May 9, 2007

The Amazing Spiderman

I saw Spiderman 3 today. I've maintained and still do, that the first Spiderman is by far the best superhero adaptation. I'd definitely recommend number 3 if you're a fan, although at two-and-a-half hours, and with three villains, it's certainly bloated. It was extremely entertaining (I instinctively know this because I ran to and from the bathroom mid-watching), but the series is now officially treading water.

I've always felt the Spiderman movies have been very true to the spirit of comic books, doing an excellent job of walking that fine line between fun and hokeyness. but at times this installment leans a bit too much towards the latter. It's funnier than the previous two, but too often at the expense of that balance. For example, there's a part of the movie where Peter Parker goes a bit emo, which is hilarious. Yet they push it too far, and one scene ends up coming dangerously close to that scene in Anchorman where Ron Burgandy plays his yazz - I mean jazz - flute to impress Corningstone.

However, the special effects and actions sequences may be some of the best I've ever seen. There's an early battle sequence that is so flawlessly put together, the action so seamless, I was in awe. Do you remember the scene early in Attack of the Clones when Anakin and Obi-Wan are chasing Padme's would-be assassin through the traffic of Coruscant (and yes, I recognize the colossal nerdiness of this question) Well this is everything that scene should've been.

Speaking of Star Wars, George Lucas had his own comments about Spiderman 3:

"It's silly. It's a silly movie," he said. "There just isn't much there. Once you take it all apart, there's not much story, is there?"

Wow, he may live in a bigger bubble than George Bush. I was going to offer some response to Mr. Lucas, but then I felt my head nearly explode and thought it wasn't worth it. I'm sure you're all already on board.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hdanow, how can you place Spiderman as the best comic book movie, especially when it has Kirsten Dunst who almost singlehandedly ruined the entire movie. Are you forgetting X2? Head and shoulders above the rest, or the first Batman with Jack playing the joker.

Spiderman is a joke, its special effects have always seemed fake and Tobey Maguire is annoyingly naive (i see why you like him). Sam Raimi will never be able to touch the magic that Singer created in his dark, topical and brilliant X2.

I think spiderman deserves to be in the same category as Catwoman or Elektrika.

Enjoy

Unknown said...

It was only so-so.

BookieD said...

I thought Batman Begins and Batman (1989) were better. Batman Begins was one of the best movies I've ever seen, and easily the best "origin" stories for super heroes/sci fi characters.

I've told Harris that the TV Show Hereos is as good as or better than any comic book movie. The storytelling feels like reading a super heroe comic book (or what it might have felt like--I read mostly Archie comics, particularly Betty & Veronica--hey, now!).

Lucas is an ass. Anybody who makes a movie with Jar Jar Binks as a protagonist should not be talking about what's "silly".

minty lewis said...

i'm with judahe. i thought x2 was pretty great as well. i don't even really care about comic book movies, but that one was a standout.

Anonymous said...

I honestly think that it was the crappiest movie i have EVER seen. I mean, there was nothing there! No potential at all. The plot didn't even start until the movie was almost over, and even then it was just incredibly predictable.